Cracow Priory Français

Español

Po polsku

General Chapter Polish Province Cracow Priory Benefactors 
St Hyacinth Traveller's Kit Contact us Links  



--->SEE THE GALLERY


The first Dominicans came to Cracow from Bologna in 1222, invited by Iwo Odrowaz, the bishop of the city. They were given the Holy Trinity Church, where the priory was founded in 1223. Around 1250 a new, more spacious church was built. Many reconstructions have been made since the 15th century. The colossal fire of Krakow in 1850 heavily damaged both the church and the priory. Reconstruction works lasted for the rest of the 19th century.

The Priory of Cracow The Dominican church of Cracow is a lofty brick-stone, three-nave basilica with a long sanctuary closed with a flat wall. Among numerous side chapels, the most noteworthy one is St Hyacinth's Chapel, where the marble tombstone of the first Polish Dominican and the founder of the Province is buried.

There is also the Rosary Chapel with the miraculous image of Our Lady of the Rosary.

The Priory of Cracow The priory in Cracow is the most important community of the Polish Province. It is the seat of the Philosophy and Theology College, the house of formation, and it also houses the studium library and the archives of the Province. The brethren carry on various pastoral activities, such as the academic chaplaincy "Beczka" ("The Barrel"), the high school ministry "Przystan" ("The Harbour"), the Dominican Laity, the prayer group ("St Hyacinth's Community"), the chaplaincy for disabled persons "Klika" and many other smaller groups and communities. The brethren take constant spiritual and pastoral care of the Dominican nuns and sisters, academic communities, married and engaged couples. Confession is offered everyday in the church from 6 am till 8 pm.